On October 15th, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single issue on everyone’s mind - the environment. Today is Blog Action Day and over 15 000 blogs are participating. Lust Bites is one of them!
Here are our ten ways to be green and sexy:
1. Do it in the dark. Yes, that means you. Stop being so goddamn kinky and make out like you have some hang ups. In the dark, you’re forced to feel your way around with lips, fingers and skin, to listen closer to all those breathy moans and sighs. It’s sexy, slippery and fumbly. Plus, when you can’t see your lover’s face, they could be David Beckham. I mean, anyone, they could be anyone.
2. Reduce, reuse! Buy less stuff. It’s a waste of the planet’s resources and only creates more crap to be disposed of. Start seeing the world through pervertable eyes, and you’ll find plenty of objects with dual-function potential. Get spanky with a wooden spoon, borrow clothes-pegs from the washing line, aim the shower nozzle right there. For inspiration, read Mathilde Madden’s wonderful story, Pervertable, in B is for Bondage and explore Alison ‘Scrubber’ Tyler’s Bondage on a Budget for tips and tales on what to do with chopsticks, bathrobe-belts, egg whisks and the dishwasher on ‘scrub’ cycle.
3. Recycle! Check out Love Honey’s recycle your rabbit campaign. Use rechargeable batteries and recycle those too. NASTY FACT: Around 600 million UK household batteries (22,000 tonnes) – the equivalent weight of 110 Jumbo Jets – are sent to landfill unnecessarily every year. (And not all of them are mine.)
4. Save water! Bathe with a buddy or, better still, share a shower.
5. Use hemp rope for bondage. Not only is it more environmentally-friendly than synthetic rope, it’s the traditional rope for Japanese bondage. Try the nice folk at Twisted Monk for samples and supplies. And (Shameless Plug Alert) read Split, my forthcoming puppets and bondage book for some serious hemp-rope action.
6. Many sex toys are made using phthalates. (It’s pronounced: ‘Oh, for fuck’s sake - is nothing sacred.’) Phthalates are oil-derived chemical compounds used to soften plastic. Over time, they migrate to the surface of plastic and evaporate or leach into their surrounding environment. (That's why plastic goes brittle.) Their use is widely banned in the manufacture of children's toys while their use in adult toys remains unregulated. This being the internet, you can read stories about people who've grown a second head after a good old session with their jelly-feel butt plug. You can also read reports claiming phthalates are essentially harmless, usually from companies with a vested interest in their production. Sometimes, I don't know who to believe. On a global level, phthalates are one of the biggest industrial pollutants, and that's not good. On an individual level, you're probably more at risk from bacteria on an unwashed vibe. But, call me fussy, I'd still rather not stuff something up my chuff that's too toxic to go into a baby's mouth.
7. Don’t flush condoms. Most condoms are made primarily of latex which biodegrades although not when underwater. Send dead rubbers to landfill. It's not ideal but safe sex is crucial and sometimes you've just got to swallow it. Goodness, did I really say that?
8. Check out the horny hippies at Fuck for Forest and put some politics into your porn and some porn into your politics.
9. Quit using plastic bags. In the UK, a campaign is growing to make Christmas 2007 plastic-bag free. If you haven't got your own bag, you could invest in a Lust Bites 'I ♥ dirty books' tote bag as modelled by my friend Bam Bam on Brighton beach.
10. Get back to nature and shag outdoors. A breeze on your nethers is heaven, and it helps to be reminded that ours is a beautiful but increasingly fragile planet. We mustn't fuck it up. We don't have one spare.
And now it's your turn. Can you add to my list? Do you have any hot, eco-friendly pervertables the world ought to know about? Any green sex toy companies to recommend? Any pictures of, say, David Beckham in the buff and acting like he's carbon neutral? Then do please share.
NOW! The nekkid Becks pictures NOW!