Thursday, February 1, 2007

Sneaking in under the radar…

Have you ever visited somewhere that just begged to be written about? Readers, have you ever been somewhere that you wanted to read a story about?

Last summer I visited Cornwall and found exactly such a place. Up in the hills, at the end of a muddy track, stands the lonely Iron Age village of Carn Euny, a place of tranquillity, and serenity, overlooking the distant Cornish coastlines.

The few photos I have to offer don’t even begin to capture the mystical stillness of the place. Stand there for a few minutes with your eyes closed and you can almost hear the whisper of voices through the ages.





I knew then I wanted to write about it, but the story itself didn’t materialise until several months later, which brings me to the point of this post. Hop over to the Erotica Readers and Writers Association Story Galleries by following the link below and for this month only, you can read the story Carn Euny inspired.

Click here, to read Carn Euny.

Hope you enjoy the read, and don’t forget to come back and tell me about your inspirational places.

Madelynne Ellis
Schedule Manager’s Bane

www.madelynne-ellis.com
www.madelynne-ellis.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Nice one, Madelynne! Loved that story.

Nx

Keziah Hill said...

I loved that one Madelynne!

Alison Tyler said...

Lovely, Madelynne! What a fun post.
I'm generally more inspired by people I meet than places I visit. But years ago, an outdoor exhibition in London did give me the idea for my first Black Lace novel, Learning to Love it. I've posted a few grainy pics on my blog.

Cheers,
Alison

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Ohhhhh, I love Carn Euny! It's such an amazingly magickal place. Is the cat still there? The dog? The potter's shop nearby?

I've used various pagan sacred sites in a number of my stories. An early Sophie Mouette story is set at an unnamed stone circle on Anglesey, Wales--you can read it here.

Vincent Copsey said...

Thank you, ladies. I'll be checking out those stories.

Dayle: yep, to potter's shop, not sure about the dog, but I have vague memories of a cat. There were swallows nesting inside the fogou, and the babies kept sticking their heads out begging for food.

I love the sand dunes on Anglesey. It's just like walking into the middle of a desert only with the British weather. I keep meaning to use them in a story.

PS. Have you checked out Julian Cope's book the Modern Antiquarian if you're a fan of ancient ruins?

Janine Ashbless said...

Yes, Carn Euny is great - so's the story. Thanks, Madelynne! I think we writers should be allowed to offset our holidays against tax.

A holiday visit long ago to the tiny Greek island of Delos (and a particular statue in the museum there!)inspired "Sun Seeking" which is to be found on my website here

Anonymous said...

I travel a lot, and I write a lot about the places I travel. Almost always, I find something about each place to write about. I think it's because when you're in a new place, all your senses pay real and true attention to every small thing.

I think there's something to what Alison says about people too. Often, it's the people who I meet in this exotic places that excite me into writing something.

To date, I've written sexy stories about various places (and people) in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Amsterdam, Mexico and Berne, Switzerland.

Also, for a woman who really understands how to write about place, check out Cheyenne Blue's erotica. She captures places so well, she makes me yearn for the location almost as much as for her characters.

Her website (I haven't figured out how to link in this comments yet) is:

http://www.cheyenneblue.com/

All the best, s.