Thursday, December 7, 2006

Continuum reissued today in the UK

Continuum - buy from Amazon.comI’m not sure I’m going to be any good at this, but I thought I might pitch in because it’s suddenly dawned on me that I have a reprinted book published today in the UK! I’d actually forgotten all about it until last night…

In his guest blog the other day, over at Romance By the Blog, our glorious leader Adam mentioned that in the mid nineties, Black Lace issued a lot of ‘secret erotic society’ novels… well, CONTINUUM, is one of those particular animals and I’m not ashamed to say so! It’s what I’d call an ‘old school’ Black Lace, but somehow, at the same time, it’s also modern, because it’s romantic and it’s a love story… so in a twisted sort of way it’s actually an ‘erotic romance’ too. Joanna, the heroine spends the whole book falling in love with the ‘boy next door’, sort of, while at the same time becoming obsessed with the mysterious Master of the Continuum, who seems to be able to control her entire erotic life without revealing himself to her. Won’t go into the details of the plot, but suffice it to say, Joanna has a lot of deliciously hair raising BDSM adventures along her path to a happily ever after.

CONTINUUM is one of my favourites of all the books I’ve written because it’s a ‘homage’ to the writing of my all time favourite erotic author. In the very early nineties, I read a wonderful trilogy of novels by one Cyrian Amberlake, The Domino Tattoo, The Domino Enigma and The Domino Queen. These books just blew me away! To me they were, and still are, exactly what erotic writing should be. Amazingly well written, fantastical, but also, somehow, completely ‘real’ at the same time. The books encapsulate the concept that has coloured most of my erotic writing to this day… the idea that there’s a secret erotic mirror world that exists alongside the mundane one we live in, and if a special lover chooses to, they can invite you through the mirror to play in this hedonistic wonderland. The prose of the Domino Trilogy is cool, yet at the same time warm. Elegant, yet also vernacular. I immediately decided that this was the standard I was going to aim for, and even though I’ve probably never achieved quite the same quality, I’ll never stop knocking myself out in the attempt. And CONTINUUM was my of saying thank you to that author, and creating my own version of the Domino Trilogy. Not being the world’s greatest plotter though, I couldn’t stretch the story to a trilogy, so I crammed the whole thing into one book!

Anyway, I think I’ll leave it at that, because I’m just blathering on really, and I do that quite enough in my own blog… But I just wanted everybody to know a bit of the background to the book of mine that’s reissued today in the UK.

Cheers

Portia aka Wendy

Read an Excerpt of CONTINUUM

Available in the UK from Amazon.co.uk - 7th December 2006

Available in the US from Amazon.com - 6th February 2007

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy

Great post. Just the thing we should have. A book coming out and some juicy background. Fascinating

Vincent Copsey said...

Bravo, Wendy.

Well done on being brave and congrats on the reissue.

Portia Da Costa said...

Thanks, guys! Nearly killed me to come up with that... I hate writing promo and I hate to have to write 'intelligent' stuff about writing and whatnot... I'm far happier writing about chocolate and cake and yabbering about Vincent D'Onofrio and my cats... oh, and all my aches and pains.

Everyday wibbling on, that's my forte... LOL

Michelle Buonfiglio said...

'afternoon, cheeky wenches. Lovely to see your new blog. I adore old school, Wendy (hooray for you!), and celebrate the way it inspires the novels that follow. I feature an old-school romance each week in my column out of respect, and because I want readers not to feel ashamed of the "bodice-rippers" the gen public berates. I'm quite fond of a little bodice-ripping and, in the same way the cheesy male mag confessionals (e.g., my fave intro, "I'm from a small Midwestern university, and I never thought I'd have sex with two foxy babes, but...") influenced contemp erotica, old-school romance themes are strong today. If we're lucky, they're not sanitized or massaged for modern sensibilities and mores.

I invite you to visit us today with Ian Kerner, Ph.D. and his marvelous GuestBlog on women,fantasy,and orgasm. And tomorrow w/ your fellow Vgn author, Emma Holly.

Ciao!

Sabrina Luna said...

YAY! Congrats on your reissue, Wendy! Also I'm VERY happy that the BL Ladies have a blog --OH YAY! :) Thx Ladies! Hugs --Sabrina )O(

Portia Da Costa said...

Hi Michelle!

Yes, I'll most definitely be hopping over to your blog today. I've been popping in for quite a while but I never dared comment until our Adam guested. :)

I loved those secret society, harem, luxurious castle/dungeon, glitzy glam eroticas of the nineties because I love a bit of escapism from the drear and grunginess of everyday life. In the same way, I must admit to enjoying the escapist glamour world of modern contemp categories too. Gorgeous, alpha, fabulously wealthy men... what's wrong with that? Especially with a side order of hot sex...

Oh, and funny you should mention it, but I'm quite partial to the odd [usually very odd] 'readers letter' too - and not only as a reader. But the less said about that, the better... ;)

Lovely to see you here too, Sabrina!

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Michelle, lovely to see you here! (Quick girls, we've got guests. Tidy the place up...)

I'll be nipping in for sure for the rest of the week's discussions - wouldn't miss it!

Anaïs Nohant said...

Hi Portia and Madelynne,

Just wanted let you know I'm in reading bliss. I finally got to finish "The Tutor"-which was amazing and just started "Dark Designs". The first chapter sucked me in immediately. If I wasn't so engrossed in the book right now, I'd be heading to the local comicbook store checking out what I've been missing-Thanks Madelynne. Will post on myspace about it when I get a chance-things are hectic. Looks like I will be in visiting your fine country just before or right after Christmas. Taking a break from writing-need a new perspective. Hope it's not to cold there.

Anais

Vincent Copsey said...

Hi Anais, glad you're finding Dark Designs so engrossing. I had a lot of fun digging through the comic/manga collection researching that novel. I'll look forward to your comments on myspace.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK. Weather is typically changeable at the moment.

Alison Tyler said...

God, I just love the way the covers all look in a row. The photos are getting so damn hot!

Sabrina Luna said...

Okay, Wendy, just got off the phone with my local bookstore. I love when authors recommend *their* favorites! Yep, ordered all three DOMINO titles--should be here next week! Yay!

I can't wait til your reissues hit the shelves too! ;)

Hugs,
Sabrina )O(

http://sistersofthedarkmoon.blogspot.com
http://sabrinaluna.blogspot.com

Portia Da Costa said...

Oh Sabrina, I feel nervous now... I hope you love the Domino Books as much as I do! I must have read that trilogy at least half a dozen times now, and I always get something new out of it every time I read it.

Sabrina Luna said...

Gotta love books like that, Wendy! I love a good re-read as much as a newer one --depending on my mood. :)

Hugs,
S )O(