by Kate Pearce
So we've had Lust Bites about Bloody men, young men, old men, bad men, wet men etc etc, but have we ever ventured into the area of average or conventional men? The ones that some of us, well me, secretly love but might have been afraid to admit to?
I'll admit it-since the age of six I've had crushes on a lot of average guys and a lot of 'oh my god, I really shouldn't like this guy because everyone else does' ones. Each one of them meant something important to me at the time. For your entertainment I'm going to share them all. Some of them might not be too familiar to our American readers, but I'm sure you'll enjoy looking at them just the same.
So here goes a veritable time line of crushes...
1. Rolf Harris Artist, pop star, Australian, wacky game show host.
why: I was six, he looked just like my dad, and as I'd realized by then that I couldn't actually marry my dad- Rolf would have to do.
2. Scott Tracey from Thunderbirds. why And yes I know he's a puppet-but I still had a big crush on him.Look at those dimples!
3. Spock. why: He had pointy ears. I have pointy ears-a match made in heaven.
4. John Noakes-T.V. host of the Blue Peter show. why. Rugged, northern and blunt. He also sky-dived out of a plane and I swore I'd do it one day too. I did on my 40th birthday.
5. Donny Osmond. why: Donny had big teeth and lots of brothers who liked to sing. I have big front teeth and lots of sisters who like to sing (especially when drunk)
6. Starsky. why Excessive teenage lust. I had a whole scrapbook dedicated to pictures of him I cut out of magazines-that's true love-I even bought his knitted jacket and wore it constantly. I even wished he'd brought out a single instead of Hutch.
7. Pete Duel. The original half of Alias Smith and Jones. why More teenage unrequited lust and so much more interesting than Ben Curry.
And then there was a lull when I discovered REAL BOYS and I didn't really rediscover my need to crush until I was a young mother, bored out of my mind at home with the kids...and along came:
8. Jimmy Nail, actor, singer, real man. why I have absolutely no idea but I still love him.
9. Justin Timberlake. why Um...I like his music?
10. Take That boy band featuring Robbie Williams and other studly young men young enough to be my baby brothers, if not my sons. why I had 3 kids, I was at home alone, they were so...chirpy-I've run out of excuses...
So tell me-you know what I want to know-your youthful crushes and why they brought out the beast in you...
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
by Kate Pearce
Posted by Kate Pearce at 6:23 AM